Where's the REAL Wall on a G1 7246VXR w/MC16C Cards? | docsis.org

You are here

Where's the REAL Wall on a G1 7246VXR w/MC16C Cards?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
psmit
Where's the REAL Wall on a G1 7246VXR w/MC16C Cards?

Processor seems quite happy at around 50% untilization but the upstreams and downstreams are ocassionally seeing their "docsis" limits bandwidth-wise on all four MC16C's with around 1400 D1.0 modems total and a general average service level among all of them being in the ballpark of 1.5Mbps.

Running 64QAM DS at present and intending to upgrade to MC28U's asap, but that may not be until another 300 or so modems are added to the existing mix. (Yeah, I'm still transitioning out of legacy mode from all my old LANcity stuff. Zzzzzzz.)

Anyway, the plan is to integrate a second uBR with 28U's to take the heat off the existing setup then load up the current uBR with 28U's and run both along with doing a system-wide upgrade to D2.0.

Will I make it with the current setup and another 300 modems before I run outta bandwidth, or am I already pretty much at the wall of docsis magic?

TIA for any observations and/or comments as usual.

And I will be needing some help as I move forward with the second uBR deployment and the D2.0 upgrade. Anyone interested in some side work, just shoot me an email -- poge at oberlin dot net.

Poge

cmtsguru989
Poge,

Poge,
We can help you set up. email sebastian at broadbandent dot com. your current VxR should be good to manage both the mc28u and the mc16c at the same time with an npe g1 - that's what the vxr was built for. the key is making sure you configure and segment it all correctly

mtntrailseeker
Ditch the 2.0 transition

and go right to 3.0. Casa systems now has a C1G D3.0 solution with initial price points at 7K. How much will all this used cisco gear set you back?

psmit
Easy big fella...lol

I snagged a pair of fully loaded NPE-G1 / MC28U 7246VXR's with dual AC power supplies for not much more. Also bought a boatload of SB5120's for our transition some time ago at very little cost and am unfortunately committed to D.20 for my next step. Buy hey, at least it's a giant leap into the latest and greatest 20th century technology here in the 21st century. ;-)

Poge