MaXt0r
EMTA problem Arris TM722B (HSD +SIP)
AttachmentSize
Image icon 1.png19.5 KB
Image icon 2.png22.42 KB
Image icon 3.png21.46 KB
Image icon 4.png9.28 KB

Hi all,

I’m quite new with the DOCSIS technology. Maybe it’s a simple question, so don't think that I’m a fool ;)

We created a test setup with the following components:
1. Arris C4 CMTS
2. Arris WBM760B (High Speed Data) This part works
3. Arris TM722B (High Speed Data and VOICE) Only the High Speed Data works
4. Debian DHCP and TFTP server for provisioning

The problem is that we aren’t able to get the EMTA’s online for a TM722B modem. So everything works fine except the voice part. We only see DHCP requests from the CMAC’s, is this normal?

In the attechments you will find the config info:

Best regards

kwesibrunee
Looks like dhcpd setup is most of your problem

There are dhcp problems right off the bat

1. the cable modem must have option 122 with sub option 1 set optionally 2 as well this is most easily done in the subnet portion of the config like so

option docsis-mta.dhcp-server-1 192.168.0.1;

Option 122 is not built into dhcpd so you have to define it first in the global part of the config put:

# Map option 122 values for booting packetcable Devices
option space docsis-mta;
option docsis-mta.dhcp-server-1 code 1 = ip-address;
option docsis-mta.dhcp-server-2 code 2 = ip-address;
option docsis-mta.provision-server code 3 = { integer 8, string };
option docsis-mta.as-req-as-rep-1 code 4 = { integer 32, integer 32, integer 32 };
option docsis-mta.as-req-as-rep-2 code 5 = { integer 32, integer 32, integer 32 };
option docsis-mta.krb-realm-name code 6 = string;
option docsis-mta.tgs-util code 7 = integer 8;
option docsis-mta.timer code 8 = integer 8;
option docsis-mta.ticket-ctrl-mask code 9 = integer 16;
option docsis-mta-pkt code 122 = encapsulate docsis-mta;

2. The MTA needs option 122 as well but with sub options 3 and 6 set like so:

option docsis-mta.provision-server 0 "\003mta\006domaino\003net\000";
option docsis-mta.krb-realm-name "\005BASIC\0011\000";

Again you can set this once on the subnet declaration rather than in each host declaration or in your class definitions.

This is the setup for basic.1 provisioning there are several different ways to provision an MTA but basic.1 is the easiest an most common.

3. MTAs require a fqdn (that is option domain-name and option host-name in dhcpd terms) or they will ignore the dhcp offer.

depending on who you go with for your voice services this may or may not need to resolve

The way I do this is to use the MTAs mac address for part of the hostname like so:

option domain-name "mta.domain.net";
option host-name = concat ("mta",suffix (concat ("0", binary-to-ascii (16, 8, "", substring (hardware, 1, 1))),2), "", suffix (concat ("0", binary-to-ascii (16, 8, "", substring (hardware, 2, 1))),2), "", suffix (concat ("0", binary-to-ascii (16, 8, "", substring (hardware, 3, 1))),2), "", suffix (concat ("0", binary-to-ascii (16, 8, "", substring (hardware, 4, 1))),2), "", suffix (concat ("0", binary-to-ascii (16, 8, "", substring (hardware, 5, 1))),2), "", suffix (concat ("0", binary-to-ascii (16, 8, "", substring (hardware, 6, 1))),2));

that second line is a really complex way to set the hostname equal to mta001122334455. This is also best inserted into the subnet or pool declarations.

if you need the fqdn to actually resolve you will have to set up DDNS updates very doable but a pain in the butt, if you need this msg me and I can help you with the config requires isc dns server though.

4. the mta wants dns servers as well to potentially resolve the dns fqdn so add those and other required options

generally this list works for me

option domain-name-servers 192.168.0.14, 192.168.0.10;
option log-servers 192.168.0.14;
# SIP MTAs want a unique mta config per mta MGCP (packetcable) will probably only need one mta config for all mtas
option bootfile-name "mta.bin";
filename "mta.bin";
option tftp-server-name "192.168.0.13";
next-server 192.168.0.13;

These can all go in the general subnet or pool declaration for the MTAs unless you are using sip then the option bootfile-name and filename options would need to go in the individual host declarations or be omitted if you use Arris proprietary provisioning method gupimac

5. Your using the docsis way to tell it about firmware, which will work until you get more than one model of modem, Arris has several series of modems that all take different firmwares, Arris has a propriatary method for updating the different models from the same config file, check the provisioning manual for more information.

6. in your modems config file you will probably want to change the provisioning method to gupimac (option 9) this will tell the MTA to look for a bootfile named [Mac Address].bin i.e. 001122334455.bin without having to specify this in each host declaration. It will work either way but much less hassle this way.

Conclusion:

That should get your MTA at least requesting dhcp, be aware that MTAs in general are very picky on dhcp offers if they do not contain every option they are requesting they silently ignore the offer. The Arris MTAs have a cli that can help troubleshoot it further when you get to that point.

If your going to use Arris MTAs you probably want to set up a support account with them, this will give you access to their firmware, docs and phone support which is very good. Find their contact info on their website arissi.com.

mbowe
I agree with what

I agree with what kwesibrunee said above.

Unless you give the CM option 122 with sub option 1, the MTA component will not start.

The idea behind this is to allow you to provision an EMTA for data-only mode. If you havent given the CM option 122, then the MTA wont sit there hammering your DHCP server trying to get an IP.